Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Finale

It's always nice to get sent home early from work due to a blizzard, isn't it? (No, Tom, that was not sarcasm.) Due to the weather, the friends I was going to have over to watch the Amazing Race season finale won't be able to come. But I'm going to watch it anyway, as should you. 8:00 Central on CBS.

I'm used to getting junk mail from a wide variety of sources, but it still burns me when I get it directly from my bank. They want me to sign up for their credit monitoring service - only $9.99 a month! They seem to have conveniently forgotten that in three weeks everyone in Missouri will be able to get a free credit report from all three of the majors, by law. I hope no poor schmucks sign up for this thing.

Read the rest of Close Range and, if it's possible, I'm even more gobsmacked than before. The characters in all of the stories are ultimately melancholy, hollow, futile, but they manage to be fascinating in the process. It makes you want to either move to Wyoming, blow it off the face of the earth, or both. Consider it on my must-read recommendation list, if you're the sort who reads.

No comments: