Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beijing Impressions, Day 6 continued

I don't see many non-Chinese restaurants around town (besides McDonald's), but middle eastern food appears to be popular. I've noticed many outposts of "Holiland" [sic] around town.

So tonight was boxing. Not a sport I have a huge interest in, but hey, I had the ticket, so why not? In the course of the evening, I noticed several interesting things.
  • Each event has a new team of cheerleaders, with new costumes, dancing a new routine that's themed to the sport at hand.
  • The Russians also cheer for countries that used to belong to the USSR. I think that's pretty sporting of them.
  • I know I'm probably the only geek who listens to the Video Game Music channel on AOL Radio. But I swear, they used a sound clip from Kameo. Did anyone actually play that game?
Oh, and is anybody watching the Olympics on TV? Noticed how the stands often appear half-empty? There are a few things you should know: First, a ticket gets you in to a session that can last from two to six hours. Naturally, people are coming and going constantly. More importantly, the vast majority of tickets are held by locals. They tend to stay just long enough to see China compete, then book it. So now you know.

Tomorrow morning, I head back to the States. It's been a lot of fun here, but I'm feeling the need to get back. If nothing else, my feet can't take much more of this. My blisters have blisters, and it hurts to walk.

But! Stay tuned a bit longer, as I have tons of photos to post once I get back to my computer.

No comments: