Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Unbearable Lightness of Best Buy

So I was shopping, briefly, at Best Buy last night. And in those few minutes, it managed to remind me why I rarely shop there:

I noticed a preorder slip on the shelf for the next Legend of Zelda game, Twilight Princess. The release date listed was 8/1, much sooner than the 10/3 I'd seen listed elsewhere. Intrigued, I accosted the nearest salesperson. The following is approximately the conversation that transpired:

Me: "Hey, could you double-check the release date on this game?"
BB: "Sure!"
(a few minutes pass)
BB: "I'm sorry, but this game doesn't seem to be in our system yet." [which is untrue]
Me: "What? I mean, it's on the shelf."
BB: "Sure is."
Me: "Doesn't that strike you as odd?"
BB: "Yep, it's pretty weird."
Me: "What would happen if I took this preorder slip to the register?"
BB: "That's an excellent question."

And so forth. The poor boy had a total lack of curiosity, problem solving skills, and in general, conscious thought. It was rather like talking to Eliza. I wish I could blame him, but I suspect that working there does that to a person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's awesome. It's good to know that the money they spent training him paid off.

Did you end up buying the game?

Anonymous said...

Beermann,

I just have to say fuck you :-).

I dunno what kind of morons they hire in Kansas City, but we got a good crew up here in Lincoln (Best store in the District last month :-)).

What's worse is the number to pull it up in the system is probably on that pre-release card.

Regardless, those K.C. stores are screwy as hell, we were down there a week or so ago and the place was going to hell in a handbasket, we just walked into their warehouse to get our stuff :-).

-Will