Sunday, November 20, 2005

Equity

So I'm finally, reluctantly, inching my way towards the choppy waters of home ownership. It is by no means a done deal, but there's a decent chance that in 2-3 months time, I'll be buying a house.

This probably isn't the best time to be doing it, coming at the tail end (?) of a huge rise in prices. But I really don't have the luxury of waiting. And since interest rates are due to rise again in the next few months, it's better than waiting.

So far, the biggest adventure has been on the financing end of things. As a recent college graduate with no real debt to speak of, my credit record is clean but very short. Lenders would almost rather have someone with a mountain of debt, because then they know you are willing, able, and accustomed to pay, pay, pay. I got it all accomplished in the end, but a national security clearance would have required less paperwork.

As for what kind of house, and where... really no idea as of yet. Kansas City natives are welcome to submit suggestions. I'll warn you, Johnson County is probably right out. I could barely afford a broom closet down there.

No comments: