Sunday, October 24, 2004

Claritin Clear

Nebraska City was an almost unbelievable contrast to Kansas City. Not only was it a perfectly clear, sunny day, but every color on every tree was eye-popping. It was seriously like those Claritin commercials they show on TV, where a smoky film is lifted away and suddenly everything is more vibrant. When I came back here, I realized what a washed-out world I've been living in compared to the countryside. It makes me kind of sad.

The whole town was swarming with Asian ladybugs, which are hard to tell from the normal kind - visually, at least. But instead of being relatively sedate, they constantly fly through the air and land on your skin. Instead of being unobtrusive, there are millions of them. And they bite. Nasty things; I hadn't seen them much before, and I hope it doesn't become an annual occurrence.

Saw a Hummer H2 with the license plate "JIM COX". Does this remind anyone else of when Homer Simpson changed his name and got "MAX POWER" monogrammed in full on all of his shirts?...

Driving a car with busted cruise control turns out to be really dangerous: I drive much faster than I otherwise would. On a related note, thank god I turn 25 next year, because this $1200 a year car insurance is going to kill me yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a lot of car insurance...more than i pay, even. who do you go through?

-stack

Matthew Beermann said...

Bah and humbug. I haven't been in an accident in over seven years. There are any number of other factors currently inflating my rates, including:

* I am neither married nor 25 years old (yet)
* I live in the urban core of a major city
* I'm no longer a part of my parents' insurance
* I've lived at my current address for less than six months

Needless to say, I expect things to be a lot better a year from now...