Saturday, October 23, 2004

The Fog

Wow, it's been much longer than I thought since I posted. Not an extremely eventful week, but as usual, a few oddities to report:

The first strange thing was that I passed up an afternoon off (at a local pool hall) for my entire team. Obviously, I would usually jump at that sort of thing, but it was partially a reward for a month of deadlines and 60+ hour weeks. I got hired just at the end of it, and I decided I'd feel like a huge tool if I took the reward for things I didn't do - playing hard without working hard, if you will. Of course, I also missed opportunities to network and socialize away from the office. Which I need to do more of. Not quite sure what to think, in hindsight.

The second strange thing was the inverse of the first: I got a nonvite, an unvitation, to drinks after work. The attendees (I discovered afterwards) were nearly all folks I got hired with, and consider friends. But, the organizer was someone I didn't know. So snub or oversight? Wish I knew. I think I'll err on the optimistic side for now, but I hope that excluding and/or forgetting me doesn't become a habit. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate that.

And the third strange thing was that the Arby's near work doesn't have chicken strips, or indeed, chicken anything. They're the best thing on the menu; the only reason I go there! This had better not be some sort of freakish citywide thing. I must investigate.

So yeah, that fall color I was complaining about earlier is finally starting to come in, but you could hardly tell. I can count on one hand the number of sunny days we've had since I got here; otherwise, it's overcast, foggy, or raining. It's like living in... I dunno, Seattle? London? Maine? I even like wet weather, but it's starting to get a bit old. Hard to appreciate natural beauty when you can barely see it.

Oh, and my old friends' social lives continue to be Dramatic, with a capital D. You know who you are, so, what in blazes is going on?

Headed back north this weekend - as far as Nebraska City, at least - to see my mother for her birthday. I'll make it all the way back north two weeks after that. Patience, young ones.

Addendum: holy shit, the game tomorrow is radio only. I don't even own one. Time to drive around town for a few hours?...

No comments: