Monday, October 18, 2004

...Takes Its Toll

What an absurdly busy weekend it turned out to be, a bit of a nonstop party. I'll try to do a brief recap while I can still remember it all...

Saturday: went with the guys to the Boulevard Brewery. It's pretty much Mecca, as you might expect, and I had quite a few beers I hadn't known they had. I also didn't realize how much expansion they have planned (a lot). My souvenier was a jar of their Pale Ale Mustard, which you must try if you ever get the chance. If you ever want to take a tour with me, they're every Saturday at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00.

Then we went to Arthur Bryant's, easily the most famous BBQ restaurant in Kansas City. People kept warning me about how it was located in a "ghetto" neighborhood, but by day at least, it's not bad at all. The food was simple, plentiful, and absolutely delicious. I may never look at Wonder Bread the same way again.

After that, we saw Team America: World Police. I'll admit that the movie was funny, but that's really all that it was. Please don't go expecting political commentary. To quote from Roger Ebert's review, "I wasn't offended by the movie's content so much as by its nihilism. At a time when the world is in crisis and the country faces an important election, the response of Parker, Stone and company is to sneer at both sides -- indeed, at anyone who takes the current world situation seriously. They may be right that some of us are puppets, but they're wrong that all of us are fools, and dead wrong that it doesn't matter."

Later that evening, after the guys got back from Lawrence, we went to Tanner's again. And guess what? Got our tab paid, again, but by someone else this time: the groom, whom Mark had been in town to see. We begged him not to - all this drinking for free was starting to get embarassing - but he snatched the check and wouldn't give it back. Ah, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Sunday: Off to the Renaissance Festival, along with Sam and Meagan. It is, as advertised, gigantic, not to mention in a forest, so I spent most of the day being thoroughly lost. I did manage to find a nice bit of jewelery for my mother's birthday, and a few other items that won't be mentioned, because the recipients are reading this. :) I plan to go back next year, maybe more than one weekend, so let me know if you care to go.

Dinner with Rusty, Sarah, and Rusty's parents. Dessert with Sam and Meagan as well at a place on the Plaza called The Melting Pot, which is a fondue(!) restaurant. Pricey but, sweet jesus, it's delicious. I can't even imagine what the rest of their menu is like. Yet another place I'll be happy to go with you if you ever come to town.

So, to summarize: partying and heavy, heavy drinking at my place every night this weekend, three nights running. I'm exhausted and slightly hung over, but so, so contented.

No comments: