Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Thank you for pressing the self-destruct button

Though Cerner's orientation program is focused into an intensive first week, it continues in a more leisurely manner through the first six months or so. Thus, I got to take a tour today of Cerner's data center.

Now, I should mention that we store absolutely no client data whatsoever at our main campus; nor do the vast majority of employees (including me) have access to client systems once they're deployed on site. But in the past few years, Cerner's gotten into the outsourcee business, becoming the IT department of a lot of hospitals. So now we have a data center. It's on a different site, but I suppose I ought not mention where. Security through obscurity.

Anyway, if you've seen one data center, you've seen them all. I have, and I have. But it's still a very nice data center as such things go, a Tier IV if you're familiar with them. Maybe it's my inner tester, but when I'm told that a facility lacks any single point of failure, I immediately begin to search for one. Mentally, of course...

Also? Biometric systems of any kind make me horny. We actually had a discussion with our tour guide about how the handprint scanners wouldn't work properly if you tried to use a severed arm.

Drove home through one of those otherworldly, distractingly stunning sunsets we get on the plains sometime. Couldn't take my eyes off it, even though I was endangering life and limb.

1 comment:

stack said...

i don't know why i read that article on data center tiers, but i did. i should be doing physics. or accounting. or computer science. but instead, i read that article.