Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Roots

Lately I've found myself (re)discovering an interest in genealogy. It combines my love of researching things with a potentially endless project scope if I so choose. But it's also been reminding me of some of the odder aspects of my family tree:

My mother's parents both died before I was born, and she never discusses them. As a result, I don't really know what year they died, where they're buried, what killed them, or even their first names. It seems strange, even to me, but my maternal line just stops.

I know a whole lot more about my father's line, since both my grandparents survived into my teens. They were both German immigrants, so I can trace my family immediately back to Germany. That's half the fun, in my mind - I was able to find the village they came from, and someday, I hope I get the chance to visit it. The odds are pretty good that I still have some close relatives in the area.

Actually, come to think of it, I already know of at least one relative in Germany: Christa Hermann, who I stayed with when I visited Munich. I think her father and my grandfather were brothers, which would make us first cousins, once removed. I should double-check that...

Bah, this is all extremely boring to other people anyway. We'll leave today's moral at: if digging up information turns your crank, genealogy is good stuff, and you'd best get a start on it now before your relatives start dropping like flies.

2 comments:

Derrick Stolee said...

wouldn't that make you second cousins? it was my thoughts that your parents' first cousings were your second cousins. it's entirely possible that i'm completely wrong.

Derrick Stolee said...

my curiosity was too much, so i looked it up. apparently, your second cousins are the children of your parents' first cousins. however, the definition i found also includes the children of your first-cousins as second cousins, which would work with my original thoughts (even though that's also first cousin-once removed).