Friday, December 03, 2004

Look into it

A few of the questions I ask myself actually have empirical answers, like this one: what is the degree of correlation between the length of a word, and the frequency of its occurence? You'd want to measure both the number of letters and number of syllables. And get big samples of text in various styles: formal, casual, oral, writen, etc. But overall, I suspect that the coefficient would be quite high.

I can count on one hand the number of sunny days in the past two months. But today, by some one-in-a-million conjunction of atmospheric conditions and solar geometry, there was sunlight on my cubicle. For about five minutes, but still startling. I didn't even know what many of my neighbors looked like in natural light. I'll have to mark this date on my calendar for next year.

Wierd: I got a text message from a number I don't recognize in Tampa. An empty text message. Huh?...

2 comments:

stack said...

natural light is forbidden!

Derrick Stolee said...

we've been having the sun shine in during class because it's setting earlier. that's probably the same thing you've got happening.