Thursday, December 09, 2004

The most wonderful time of the year

I've spent a small mint on Christmas gifts this year, and much of that online. I'm sure the Internet retailers are pleased, but really, I'd just as soon do my shopping in person if I could. It's just that I tend to be in the market for more obscure or unusual items, and it's hard to find them in local stores at a decent price, if at all. In other words, I'm addicted to obscene variety.

I have noticed an disturbing trend in the not-quite-top-tier sites, the ones that SlickDeals and Froogle send you to because you can get a deal. When you place an order, they require you to call in and "confirm" the order before they start processing it. Ostensibly a security measure, the only real purpose is to give them a chance to sell you additional items beyond the ones you actually bought. Upsells. It's probably been happening for years, of course, but it seems like it's becoming more widespread. And it sucks.

Unrelated:

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour."
- William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

No comments: