Friday, September 17, 2004

Equinox

My flu's getting better, I guess; it's migrated down into my throat. Every now and then I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. Which, on further reflection, might be a good thing.

We're finally, finally entering autumn around here. It's my favorite season by far, and it's high time. You walk outside and it's cooler than you expected, but not quite cold. The wind always seems to be blowing, and it's clean and refreshing. I think that the color of the leaves in the fall is one of the most beautiful things in nature. Maybe I'm just biased because it's the season I was born in.

Actually, it's more than that. I think it's much easier and more enjoyable to get warm when it's too cold, then to get cool when it's too hot. Wrapped up inside a blanket is like my natural state. In fact, though it'll sound freakish, I get a bit of a thrill during that stage of a flu when you can't regulate your body temperature properly and you feel too hot/too cold by turns. Being out of control like that reminds me of being drunk or being on a rollercoaster. Terrifying, yet awesome.

It occurred to me the other day that I'll be living in an area with no trees in sight, yet working on a corporate campus with so many trees that it's practically a forest. How's that for a reversal? At least there's trees somewhere. I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't look out a window and tell immediately what season it was. That's why I could never live in one of those parts of the country that don't really have seasons. How is my mind supposed to mark time?

The final move to KC is this weekend. I hope I can manage to get some sleep and readjust my sleep schedule; it's 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM each and every day. Maybe once I find out who my boss is and what my project is, I can readjust my hours a bit. 9 to 6 sounds far more palatable.

Assuming my desktop and cable modem end up working properly, message me next week, please. I'll be super-bored in the evenings, with nothing much to do except put things away, and no furniture of any kind. Not to mention bored in general, at least until I can manage to meet some people. It's not nearly as easy as I think I sometimes make it seem...

No comments: