Sunday, September 19, 2004

Wish You Were Here

Just a quick dispatch to let y'all know that I arrived safe and sound. I've basically spent the last two days unpacking. I don't own nearly enough stuff to fill this apartment, or even make it look like someone lives here. Everything had vanished into cupboards and closets already. Need to buy some more posters, I think.

The comedy of furniture continues; my dresser and nightstand will be two weeks late. It seems that a hurricane hit their factory. At least I'll get my bed and futon on time. And speaking of which, I think I'm going to put my bed against the interior wall, as I'm tired of hearing my neighbors' televisions. It's not that the walls are all that thin, but they both have their TVs up against the common walls, and watch them until the wee hours. Oh well. Screaming children would be far worse.

I've been unable to locate any decent grocery stores nearby, so it's time to start asking around. The nearest Walmart and Best Buy are each about ten miles away, which sucks. But that's not too awful of a trip by interstate. Until today I hadn't been to a Walmart before, say, midnight in months, so I'd rather forgotten that other people shop there.

I scoped out my training site today, which is at Cerner's riverfront conference center, not the corporate campus proper. I had thought it was in a converted riverboat, but it's actually in a converted power plant. An extremely gorgeous location, regardless. Looks like my commute will be about 15 minutes (without traffic), and I can avoid the interstates if necessary. There's also a ton of fast food places on my way to/from work, so I'll be able to grab some dinner there if need be. Maybe I should look for a grocery store in that neighborhood, too...

But mainly, I've been bored out of my mind, and will likely continue to be so for a few weeks. So please, please give me a call or instant message sometime.

1 comment:

Superficial Plaza Chick said...

Thought I'd say hello to a fellow kansas Citian. Are you loaded?

This is the word of the Superficial Plaza Chick