Thursday, September 23, 2004

Sweet, Sweet Silicon

I have a laptop again! Yay! I went almost an entire five days without one, and it almost killed me. A Dell Precision M60, very nice. (I can't tell you much about the software without getting, y'know, fired or something.) True, I can only use it for business purposes, but still, it's the thought that counts. Being able to get work done from my couch is invaluable.

Finally get to meet with my manager tomorrow and, with any luck at all, find out what I'm really supposed to do. True, he hasn't actually managed to send me a note saying when/where to find him, but I have great faith. At least I have all the important things in hand - an email address, my network passwords, an access card for the door, that sort of good stuff.

I haven't found myself too overwhelmed yet, despite the vast quantities of information, and repeated assurances by the Cerner trainers that I ought to be. Maybe I'll feel differently once I finish with the approximate month of CBTs (Computer Based Training) that I have in front of me. The prerequisite structure resembles a fractal. Interesting sidelight on the Cerner culture: they think that if you're at any one job longer than two years, something's wrong. I'm not sure but I think I like it.

Yesterday was the official Autumn Equinox. I noticed as I was driving to work that the sun was rising in the dead center of the street as I drove east, just as it should be. Too bad it doesn't feel much like fall yet. Needs to cool off.

Furniture finally gets here Saturday (some of it, at least). Anybody want to help me assemble a futon? Please?

No comments: