Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Nearly the End of All Things

Went to Kansas City this weekend and unloaded much (actually, most) of my stuff there, but came back to Lincoln to a) care for the cat while my parents are out of town, and b) say goodbye to my friends. Not necessarily in that order. For the sake of privacy I'm not going to post my new address and phone here, but if you don't have it yet, mail me directly.

So yeah, my new loft. If it were somehow possible, I would definitely hump it. It turns out to be very nice. Not huge (around 850 square feet), but it feels like it, thanks in no small part to the 12 foot ceilings. Somebody get me a trampoline. Everything is modern, as it was renovated only five years ago, and apparently in very good condition. For $650 a month including utilities and parking, I think it's a pretty decent deal for downtown KC. With any luck at all I'll be pretty happy there.

I bought a bed and futon (and other stuff) up at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha. Now, they have a branch in KC, so they can deliver anywhere in town, only $45 for up to seven pieces of furniture. A good deal, I thought. Then I discover that the NFM down there doesn't offer twilight delivery - that is to say, after 5:00 PM. And guess who's going to be in training every day until at least that time? That's right. I get to spend the first week in my apartment sleeping on the floor, yay! The employees up in Omaha couldn't believe it, and neither could I. After dropping $1,200 you think I could get a bit better service.

Some things in life, however, are immediate: there was already an AOL disc waiting for me when I got to my apartment.

Coming down with a cold, as is everyone in Kauffman, probably not coincidentally. So I get to have watering eyes as I drive south, and sniffle/sneeze my way through my first week of work. Wonderful.

As I was walking home from dinner on Saturday night, there was a violinist playing next to the Broyhill Fountain. I found it quite pleasant, even if James decided they were playing a dirge for the (losing) Husker team. UNL has always suffered from a surplus of crappy outdoor bands, and a shortage of good individual performers. Somebody should fix that.

No comments: