Thursday, January 06, 2005

Scraperhands

So we had a lovely little ice storm yesterday and today. I live along a sort of meteorological Mason-Dixon line now, neither North nor South, where ice and sleet seem to be far more common than either rain or snow. When I went outside, there was an inch-thick layer of ice cladding on every twig of every tree. And of course, on my windshield as well.

It takes a while to get through that much ice, even after quite a bit of melting from the defrost within. At one point I was wielding a scraper in each hand, and bits of ice were flying to the air at such a comic pace that I realized I was reenacting a certain scene from Edward Scissorhands. And I got to do the same thing after work, thanks to a lazy sort of sleet all day. Oh, in theory I could have worked from home - most did - but I've been performance testing lately, and the performance lab's network is isolated from the company and world. Not to mention the roads were just fine, so I really didn't have a choice. I'll take the next snow day off.

Gripe: my windows, though large, elegant, and well-lit, are nevertheless useless on days like this, because it's entirely impossible to see the ground. I have to get dressed and go outside to find out what's happened overnight. A pain in the ass, I tell you.

My car will be rolling over to 100,000 miles in the very near future. Wish I owned a camera.

Stolee's coming this weekend, with possible cameos by Katie, Stack, Matt, Steven, and Rusty. What should I mix with orange and vanilla vodka?

No comments: