Monday, January 03, 2005

The Shining, part 2

Back in Kansas City. A relaxing weekend in Colorado: eating, sleeping, and reading. As for Kingstone, like all good haunted houses do, it cooks up a few new idiosyncrasies each year:
  • You know those Christmas village things, the lighted ceramic houses? Well, though we visit at the same time every year, for the first time Kingstone had them. To be more precise, they've taken over. I counted well over a hundred of the houses alone, with accompanying accessories probably surpassing a thousand, on every available surface. It must have taken days to put them all up. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or frightened.
  • The Parlor of Blood (tm) turns out, on closer inspection, to have knicknacks from numerous countries and periods, not just the Civil War. In one display case, I spotted a woman's necklace decorated with the Nazi swastika.
  • The overall amount of artwork has increased dramatically, with many former walls now crowded with artwork. I think my favorite is a photograph of Mother Teresa, surrounded on all sides by mountain landscapes.
  • Speaking of portraits, all of the paintings of Mr. King have moved to different locations around the house, just to keep you on your toes. One now glares down at the master bedroom. I'm not sure how my parents slept at night.
  • And speaking of Mr. King, it turns out that many of his clothes are still stored in certain closets around the house. It'd almost be a crime for him not to haunt the place.

Made it most of the way through the Baroque Cycle, somehow. Expect a review once I finish them. Assorted people are wandering through town this week. Let me know if you want to party this weekend.


No comments: