Thursday, July 29, 2004

Imperfectly Pompous

Had lunch with Ashley at Vincenzo's today; wisdom teeth aside, marriage seems to be agreeing with her. She showed me the pictures from the wedding, and I think I managed to be blinking in every last one. Oh well. The ones I'm in aren't the important ones anyway. I do believe she and I will be collaborating on a new project, though: keeping her husband from brewing biodiesel in the garage. Anything that requires collecting used oil from restaurants is just a bit too close to a Simpsons episode for his own good.

Looks like I'll spend a good chunk of the weekend hanging out with (among others) my ex's new boyfriend. Surprisingly, I find that I'm fine with that, and have been for some time now. When did I become so, well, mature? And rational? And sane? It's a very Tom Hanks sort of feeling to wake up one day and find that you can be big about things. Best guess: the years have taught me that friends are rarer and more important than lovers. Or as Mick Jagger might have said, You can't always get what you want / But if you try sometimes, you might find / You get what you need...

At some point this weekend, I'm also going to try to see "The Village". I've got a huge fondness for atmospheric horror films, and it seems to fit the bill.

1 comment:

Derrick Stolee said...

the villiage... seems like it could be good. i like shamalans work so far. but alas, i must be social in some other ways this weekend.