Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Zero G

How much do your office's elevators suck if you've actually planned out what to do in the event that the cable snaps and you find yourself in free fall? 

I've been on a buying spree lately, snapping up quite a bit of merchandise from various favorite movies and television shows, not to mention purchasing a realization of a mathematical joke for a friend's birthday. Don't ask. I must be feeling wealthy, because I really don't need any of this shit. Though, I think it comes with aging, the wish to crystallize certain memories in a physical form. A talisman to recall the things we know we're going to forget.
 
It was suggested to me today that I shouldn't be friends with a certain someone simply because we happen to disagree on nearly every political and social topic imaginable. What nonsense. Those are the people I most need to be friends with, because that's how opinions are changed and compromises forged. The only way for this country to become a lost cause is if we start to believe that we have nothing in common with those who see the world differently. I firmly believe that I've changed a lot of people's minds simply by being honest and open about who I am, what I am, and what I think is right.
 
Nor am I the only one. It is my great hope for my generation that we will improve the world simply by having clearer visions of one another.
 
Unrelatedly, I was called today on my bad habit of asking difficult philosophical questions of my friends that I haven't thought through myself. In the interest of spreading the love: do you want to have children someday? Why or why not?

No comments: