Thursday, July 15, 2004

You can Philiminate me any time...

Spent last night over at James's house, first watching The Amazing Race, then playing cards with the Selleck boys. It felt good. Really good. I missed it, and them, a bit more than I realized. It's a sobering though that, in the not-too-distant future, I might not get to play for a long while. My only hope (cough, cough) is that I'll be able to do so electronically...

Thought: I wonder if an element of chance is an essential component of a game played among friends. It lets you be competitive and yet shrug off the actual outcome as unimportant. Most card games share this property, but some others do not. If nothing else, I've noticed that purely strategic games (chess comes to mind) don't seem to encourage conversation, and in my opinion, that's the reason you're playing in the first place.

The preliminary designs for the Nebraska state quarter are out; they'll be narrowed down and opened for voting sometime next month. Some pretty cool ones in there, not to mention the hilariously awful.

Not sure why, but I've noticed that I have next to zero libido this summer. (Yeah, yeah, TMI, cope.) I haven't so much as thought about going on a date, much less tried to meet someone. Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep. More likely, I don't feel right about getting involved with someone when my life is in a huge state of flux and I can't even be certain where I'll be in a few months.

But I also have a feeling that if I do go to KC, I'll be so absurdly busy for the first few months (year?...) that I might neglect that part of my life there, too. Not to mention having no clue where the good bars are and that sort of thing. There's the workplace itself, but I've found out the hard way that dating someone you're going to have to see every day regardless isn't exactly the best idea on earth.

Or maybe I just need to take my own advice, given to plenty of others, that love happens only when you've completely given up hope of it ever happening.

No comments: