Sunday, June 20, 2004

Games of various varieties

Went to see the College World Series in Omaha last night with Wrenholt. Fullerton over South Carolina, 2-0. Pretty much a pitcher's duel, with only eight hits total between the two teams. I've been kinda surprised over the years how much I enjoy attending athletic events that I would have absolutely no interest in playing or watching on TV. Maybe it's the social aspect. Like going to a movie, except you're allowed to talk.

Speaking of which, also saw Prisoner of Azkaban for the second time. Caught a few details I missed the first time - like the spell Hermione uses to blast open Sirius's jail cell, "morsmordre", which is actually used in Book 4 to conjure the Dark Mark. Or the fact that Lupin, while not looking very much like our traditional werewolves, does look almost exactly like the illustrations that Snape displays for the class. I also stayed to watch the closing credits this time. There's no extra scene afterwards, as in the previous film, but they are a wonder to watch. Full of special effects nearly as elaborate as those in the film itself. Fun stuff.

Unfun stuff: the Second Quest of the original Legend of Zelda is just brutally difficult. I'd forgotten just how much so; I can't even manage to finish Level 4, and I'm almost ready to cheat or give up. Yikes. They definitely toned things down for the SNES generation onwards.

No comments: