Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Romance for One

So, the other night, I watched a movie I haven't watched in a long time: Ever After. For those of you who aren't familiar, it's a retelling of the Cinderella story with an only-slightly-modern flavor. Oh, and I watched it by myself. At first, I thought myself pretty pathetic, but then I changed my mind.

I like romances because they show people at their best, which appeals to my inner idealist. They show the world, to paraphrase Ayn Rand, not as it is but "as it might be and ought to be". They make me feel... confident, somehow. Reassured. That love is waiting for me somewhere in the future, that being in love is every bit as wonderful as I remember it, that every once in a while, we do live happily ever after.

By comparison, and most of my friends can't understand this, I don't particularly care for romantic comedies. There's nothing particularly funny about being in love. Oh, sure, it's fun, but it's also (at the time, at least) the most important and serious thing in the world. Playing it for laughs somehow demeans the entire experience. For me, at least.

Romances I Dig: Amelie, Chasing Amy, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Ever After, My Best Friend's Wedding, The Broken Hearts Club, The Princess Bride. Many of them don't have particularly happy endings, but they have something even more important: honesty and total sincerity. And lots of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Re: Broken Hearts.
I meant to check out the movie but the reviews were mixed. What'd you think?

Oh! My blog's joela.blogspot.com.