Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Spider-Man 2

A quick post before bed, on my last half-hour of battery life. What possessed me to bring my laptop to KC but not an adapter?

Spider-Man 2 is, without question, far superior to its predecessor, which was itself a pretty good film. Without going into spoilers, it has a great deal more humor, and does a better job of remembering that it's a comic book. It also seems much longer than its 2:15 running time, not in a is-this-over-yet? way, but in a wow-there's-a-lot-of-plot-here sort of way.

Let me go out on a limb and say that the female characters (Mary-Jane and Aunt May) are the most interesting in the film. While all the men around them seem to be doing and thinking and feeling whatever the plot requires them to, these woman seem like fully realized human beings. That's very important even (especially?) in comic books, as their writers have never forgotten. Aunt May, in particular, seems to be speaking words directly from Stan Lee's mouth. The philosophy behind his characters and his writing becomes crystal clear. (Look for his quick cameo in a scene involving Aunt May.)

Oh, yes, and my interview today! Went quite well, I think, despite my being rather sleep deprived. Talked to three people from the company; one was definitely positive, one probably was but hard to say, and one was totally unreadable. One way or another they say they'll get back to me within two weeks or so. Don't expect me to announce it here immediately - I may, by then, have some other offers to consider - but the signs are positive, at least.

No comments: