Tuesday, June 22, 2004

It Burns Us, Precious

There were a number of interesting decisions handed down by the Supreme Court today. The scariest to me is the one that says you're required to give your name and identification to a police officer or be arrested, regardless of whether you've done anything wrong, regardless of whether he even has reason to think you have. Extremely icky. But then again, I'm a bit of a constitutional law wonk, so maybe my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Getting a haircut can be a rather painful experience when your scalp is sunburned.

Still prepping for that job interview next week: getting my suit dry-cleaned, loafers polished, and realizing that I no longer have a decent pair of Oxfords and need a new one. Maybe I can find dress shoes that don't suck this time.

Speaking of job interviews and scary legalities, the following appears at the top of the forms I have to fill out for Cerner. All perfectly standard, I expect, but still:

I authorize Cerner Corporation (the "Company") and/ or its agents to procure and obtain a consumer report, including an investigative consumer report, pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act as part of its pre-employment selection process, or at other times during my employment if I am hired by the Company, and to make an investigation of my background, references, character, past or current employment, job performance, education, criminal and police records, general reputation, mode of living, credit worthiness, and to make other investigative checks, including those maintained by both public and private entities and public records, through data checks or personal interviews with those who may have knowledge concerning such information, for the purpose of confirming the information contained on my written or electronic application, Personal Data Sheet, resume, or other documentation and/or to obtain other information which may be material to my application for employment or continued employment with the Company.


Should I sign such a thing? Would you?

No comments: