Friday, June 25, 2004

He's at it again

More watching romantic films alone in the wee hours of the night. "Amelie" this time. One of the best films ever made, in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't like it, so endlessly imaginative and charming. See it if you haven't. It also falls alongside "Magnolia" for films with the following message: not all of life's little chances and coincidences are as random as they seem; and even if they are, sheer chance is far more powerful than all of our plans put together. What Man proposes, God disposes...

A mystery: the film's literal title is "The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain", but beneath it, the English subtitles proudly proclaim, "Amelie from Montmartre". That's the district of Paris where the film is set, and apparently the title used for it at certain festivals and such. But, I can't imagine it being particularly evocative for anyone outside France. Curious.

Two of my better friends broke up, then reconciled, within the past twenty-four hours. Am I the only person who's never been through that particular dance in a relationship? I'm never sure how to treat such people; congratulate them for getting it over with? Console them and encourage them to get back together? Be nice? Be honest? It'd almost be better if people didn't tell me about these things until a week later.

Shareholders' meeting tomorrow, which probably means I have to look decent at work for once. Then again, perhaps the investors assume (as I sometimes do) that the shabbier an engineer looks, the more brilliant he is. Heh. I wish.

I've started telling a few people about this thing. Hello, if it's you.

"Without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's."

No comments: