Sunday, August 15, 2004

Fan Service

Among the many, many reasons I love Stargate SG-1 is this: in how many other series, even sci-fi series, would you get to hear a 100-year old alien warrior discuss his love for Def Jam Vendetta?

And that's just the beginning of an episode that features a character becoming trapped inside a VR simulation which, for the benefit of those observing from outside, is rendered using the Half-Life engine. I shit you not, a goodly amount of the hour is spent looking at polygonal versions of the actors. If it isn't a real mod yet, I expect that it will be very soon.

Edit: I shouldn't speak before I google; there are, of course, several such mods out there. Also, it was pointed out that the characters claim it's the Doom 3 engine, but it simply doesn't look it to me.

No comments: