Tuesday, August 10, 2004

This message posted with SP2

I have a strict policy of not using beta software from Microsoft, but when Service Pack 2 reached RTM I couldn't avoid it any longer. It took forever to download and install, but has otherwise been painless. In fact, I can barely notice the difference, even though I know perfectly well what all has changed, and I suspect most normal users will feel likewise.

It is a bit surprising how often I've been hitting the security warnings about programs trying to connect to the Internet, considering that the new Windows Firewall (AFAICT) only actually blocks inbound traffic. Makes virus activity easier to detect and stop, I suppose. The new wireless networking definitely seems stabler, and less apt to switch channels just because it detects someone's random peer-to-peer connection.

Launching applications, opening menus, etc, feels a bit snappier but that could be purely psychological. The layout of the Security Center seems to have changed a bit since RC2. I wish I had a newer processor so I could test the NX security. All in all, not bad. We'll see how this affects virii in the coming months.

Spent most of the day playing with the Myst IV: Revolution demo which, astonishingly, runs like a dream on my oldish Dell laptop with its 1GHz chip, 256MB of RAM, and 16MB graphics card. They must have done a pretty decent job of optimizing it. And massive props for releasing the Mac version simultaneously with the PC. Don't see that much anymore.

Also took my brother out to dinner for his half-birthday, since his actual birthday got missed while he was at school. Outback Steakhouse is yum, particularly their Bloomin' Onions, even if they do have something like 2,000 calories each.

1 comment:

Derrick Stolee said...

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have it completely stable on strange video setups for the Mac... (such as my 17" powerbook)

it's a bit sluggish at times, the button clicks don't always work right, and the flashback videos are messed up.